Halifax Regional Health System recognizes that for many people, spiritual care is an important part of getting and staying well. Chaplains are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to meet the spiritual and emotional needs of patients, their families and the staff, when desired.
The focus of Pastoral Care Services is demonstrated in a concern for the patient as a whole person, including the elements of body, mind, emotions, spirit and human relationships. The mission of Pastoral Care Services is to be responsive to the spiritual needs of the patients and family, while at the same time providing a spiritual presence to the patient care team.
Chaplains are available for patients and families who:
- Are anxious, worried, afraid, upset or angry
- Are depressed, feeling hopeless and unable to cope
- Fear losses
- Question themselves or their relationships to loved ones, friends or God
- Need spiritual strength
- Need to understand “why”
- Listen and understand your feelings
- Respect your faith
- Accept you as a person of worth and value
- Spend time with you and care for your spiritual needs
- Offer prayer
- Help you obtain information when asked
- Provide meaningful ritual associated with your faith when requested
- Be an emotional and spiritual resource to you in time of crisis or confusion
- Help you sort through difficult decisions
- Contact your minister on request
When requested, chaplains will also offer prayers of thanksgiving and blessing to help patients and families celebrate a positive event such as recovery or the birth of a child.
Our chapel is located on the second floor and is open 24 hours a day for prayer and meditation. A journal is available in which patients, families and staff may write prayer concerns and/or prayers. Hospital chaplains read and pray for prayer concerns on a regular basis.
Worship services are held in the sub-acute unit on Tuesdays at 2 p.m. and at other times by request.
Devotional services are offered and posted on special occasions and by request.
Memorial services are provided upon request.
Contact our chaplain 434.517.3995.
back to top