The Hospitalist Program at Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital is composed of physicians who are all board-certified in internal medicine and pulmonology, have specialized training in critical care medicine, are licensed to practice medicine in the state of Virginia, and are members of the Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital medical staff.
The hospitalist, with agreement of the patient’s primary care physician, serves as the patient’s doctor while he or she is hospitalized. This means that individuals whose physician does not admit patients to our hospital can receive the care they need. Upon discharge the hospitalist provides the patient’s primary care physician with a report concerning the hospital stay. Hospitalists also serve as the doctor for patients who have no primary care physician. Upon discharge such patients are referred to a primary care physician for follow-up care.
Benefits to Patients
- The hospitalist, whose office is located on the hospital campus, can respond quickly to emergencies and unpredictable events.
- Patients can be admitted directly to the hospital instead of going through the emergency department.
- Patients who have no doctor receive continuity of care during their hospital stay.
- Admission and discharge planning needs can be addressed sooner.
- Terrance J. Truitt, MD
- James F. Witko, MD
- Robert A. Durr, MD
- Chad M. Henry, MD
- Remberto J. Bitar, MD
- Michael Compton, PA-C
- Nick Hall, PA-C
- Christopher C. Kemp, PA-C
- H. C. McCullough, PA-C