Sentara Halifax Hospice and Palliative Care offers clinical, emotional and spiritual care to those living with a terminal illness. Hospice helps patients and families make informed decisions and cares for your loved one wherever they call home. Hospice helps patients and families celebrate life to the fullest.
Sentara Halifax Hospice and Palliative Care is accredited by the Joint Commission.
Sentara Halifax Hospice and Palliative Care has achieved We Honor Veterans Level One and is committed to ensuring Veterans have access to quality end-of-life care.
Hospice uses a medically directed team concept of care, assuring patients that they will receive the care they request, and that they may live their final days with as much personal satisfaction and comfort as possible. Hospice offers:
- Medical care—an interdisciplinary team of nurses, social workers, aides, volunteers and clergy provides comprehensive care under the direction of the patient’s physician.
- Nursing care—staff members are trained in palliative care, pain management and symptom control. A hospice nurse is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Supportive services—a medical social worker is available to provide counseling for patients and family members.
- Volunteer services—hospice-trained volunteers provide emotional support and companionship to patients and their families.
- Pastoral care—spiritual care is available for patients who request these services. However, a patient may request not to have pastoral care services.
- Bereavement care—a bereavement program is provided by the social worker, bereavement coordinator, hospice chaplain, associate chaplains and volunteers.
- The patient must be certified by his or her physician. The physician must indicate that the patient has a limited life expectancy.
- The patient must be a resident of Halifax, Mecklenburg, Charlotte and parts of surrounding counties.
- The patient must agree to palliative rather that curative treatment.
Sentara Halifax Hospice and Palliative Care
2204 Wilborn Ave.
South Boston, VA 24592