Family Birthing Center
Halifax Regional Hospital’s Family Birthing Center offers state-of-the-art services to mothers and their families. Our staff is specially trained to make your time with us as pleasant and safe as it can be. We perform approximately 500 deliveries each year.
- 24-hour coverage by OB/GYN and pediatric physicians.
- A c-section room attached to our labor and delivery area with 24-hour availability.
- Up-to-date security with ADT proximity, a badge-swipe lock-down system and surveillance cameras throughout the department.
- Secretary/notary who submits information necessary to obtain birth certificates. Each mother is provided with a hospital proof of birth letter but will need to obtain the actual birth certificate from the Division of Vital Records, State Health Department. Our secretary can also help obtain Acknowledgement of Paternity if needed.
- Outpatient services, including prenatal testing.
- Nurses who are Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certified. Two of our nurses are NRP instructors.
- An “Inn Touch” room, for mothers who have been discharged but their babies have not. Ask our staff for details about this program.
Labor and Delivery
Each of our five labor and delivery rooms is equipped with a private bath, shower, telephone and television. We understand that support is very important to any expectant mother and we encourage and welcome participation by a support person(s) throughout the entire labor and delivery process. Our staff will help you understand our support and visitation policy.
Each room is equipped with HP fetal monitors that are capable of monitoring single and multiple pregnancies and connected to a central OB TraceVue system. Our rooms also contain Ohmeda Ohio Infant Warmer systems. Labor and delivery is equipped with a portable Siemans Sonoline Adara ultrasound. Our experienced L & D nurses are there to help you throughout the labor process and birthing experience.
Our nursery is licensed for 20 beds, including a two-bed special care nursery. We are affiliated with Virginia Baptist Hospital Neonatal Unit. Routine hearing screens are performed on all newborns according to Virginia Department of Health guidelines. All of our newborn nursery staff is certified in S.T.A.B.L.E., a certification course in stabilization of newborns in preparation for transport when necessary.
After Your Baby is Born
After your baby is born, you will be moved to a private room in the postpartum unit. Rooming-in is an option entirely up to the new mom. You may keep your baby with you for 24 hours, for example, or simply from morning until bedtime. Your baby is welcome to stay with you for as long as you like. Should you choose the rooming-in option, but later change your mind, our nursery is always available.
If you have questions about breastfeeding or anything having to do with your newborn, our staff is there to help.
When You Go Home
Before you leave, you will be given an appointment for your baby’s check up with the pediatrician at his or her office. As a courtesy, breastfeeding moms may be given an appointment to return to the hospital in three days to have their babies screened for jaundice and proper weight gain. If you have any concerns before your return visit, please call and our newborn nursery staff will help you.
For unmarried parents
Our staff will help you, at no cost, complete the Paternity Establishment form. Click here for more information. www.vapaternity.org.
Family Birthing Center
Halifax Regional Hospital
2204 Wilborn Ave.
back to top