Halifax Regional Health System is committed to technologically advancing care without sacrificing personal touch. As a Planetree affiliate, we embrace the philosophy that our patients, residents, families and the community are best served by utilizing the latest in medical technology in a patient-centered and nurturing environment.
With a goal of personalizing, humanizing, and demystifying healthcare, HRHS began its Planetree journey in 2005 by implementing programs consistent with the ten elements of patient-centered care; human interaction; family, friends and social support; information and education; architecture and interior design; nutritional and nurturing aspects of food; healing arts; spirituality, human touch; complementary therapies and healthy communities.
Today, our patients and their families can see the results of our Planetree initiative teams’ efforts.
- Our two new floors were designed to provide an environment supportive of our patients, their families and our staff. Private rooms, decentralized nursing stations and a soothing architectural design all create a healing environment.
- Our pet therapy program provides opportunities for our patients to visit with certified therapy dogs.
- Our bedside music program offers patients diversion from the hospital routine.
- Our use of the C.A.R.E. channel provides soothing music and images for our patients.
- Our three art galleries provide visual distraction and an opportunity for artists in our community to share their talents.
- Patient-directed visiting hours emphasize our belief in the importance of family support.
- Our open chart policy encourages patients to be active participants in their care.
- The CARE Cart visits patients offering diversion and relaxation.
- Our Care Partner Program allows families and friends be participants in the care of a loved one.
- Our Care for the Caregiver Kits are available to families in need of some relaxation.
- The smell (and taste) of freshly baked cookies for our patients, their families and friends gives a new meaning to aroma therapy.
- Our Room-Service dining allows our patients to order what they want when they want it.
- Our pastoral care program offers spiritual care to patients, families and staff.
- Our healing gardens and labyrinth provide an outdoor haven for relaxation, meditation and enjoyment of nature.
- TheQuick Admit program provides faster hospital admission from the emergency department and physician offices.
- Our Patient Partnership Council serves as an advisory resource to the hospital in the development of programs and policies from a patient and family perspective.
- We provide laptops for our patients and families so that they may use Skype to stay connected with others.
As our journey continues, decisions are made keeping patient-centered care at the forefront.
To learn more about Planetree, click here.